Celiac disease (CD) is often undiagnosed and is caused in genetically predisposed individuals by abnormal intestinal permeability and abnormal immune response to gluten, a protein complex found in wheat, barley, spelt and rye. The inflammatory autoimmune response damages the lining of the small bowel and is associated with diarrhea, bloating, fatigue, nutritional deficiencies, and systemic autoimmune conditions. Gluten sensitivity can cause similar symptoms but without the same level of tissue damage. The Celiac & Gluten Sensitivity profile from Doctor’s Data helps differentiate between CD and gluten sensitivity by evaluating the serum titers of IgA and IgG for deamidated gliadin peptide, gliadin, and gluten.
This test is useful for:
- Patients who have persistent skin conditions (rash) or ataxia, idiopathic neurological conditions, autoimmune arthritis/ thyroiditis, unexplained weight loss or persistent gastrointestinal symptoms that are not associated with enteropathogens.
- Symptomatic individuals that have tested positive for the HLA DQ2/DQ8 genotypes
- Patients with symptoms or symptom exacerbation with dietary gluten or re-introduction of gluten after a trial elimination of gluten.
- Individuals that have a first degree relative with a diagnosis of CD.
- Any child with a history of 3 or more antibiotic-treated cases of gastroenteritis while less than 6 months of age.
- Patients on a gluten-inclusive diet who have Type I diabetes, Multiple Sclerosis or schizophrenia.
- Individuals on a gluten-inclusive diet who have other laboratory evidence that may be associated with CD:
- Elevated liver function tests
- Bone demineralization
- Evidence of impaired absorption of fat-soluble vitamins, iron, B12 or folic acid
√ Lab Test
√ Doctor’s Review of Test Results
√ Doctor’s Recommended Course of Action
*This test includes expedited shipping from the lab*
NOTE: The state of New York does not allow its residents access to this kind of testing. This test is not available to residents of New York . Any orders originating from New York will automatically be canceled and samples originating from New York will be discarded.